Ultimate Guide To Securing A UK Spouse Visa
From 2008 to 2009, the UK embassy received a total of 2020 settlement visa applications. Settlement visas specifically cater to fiancés/ fiancées and spouses of UK nationals.
If there is anyone who will most likely benefit from settlement visas, these are individuals who are legally married to UK spouses. More than legal entry per se, there is a strong need for interracial couples to build their family together.
Governed by the provisions of the UK Immigration, a spouse corresponds to the sponsor’s husband or wife. In the meantime, the sponsor pertains to the UK national to whom the applicant is married.
Step by step guide in applying for a spouse visa
Given the number of settlement visa applications, one needs to know the appropriate steps in obtaining this travel document. These shall spare candidates from the risk of refusals or denials. At the same time, such will also save effort and time.
Step 1 – Check the eligibility requirements. Examine and identify the individual criterion and know whether you are qualified. Here are the requirements.
- Sponsor and applicants should be at least 21 years old
- The couple must prove that they are legally married to each other
- Sponsor should have a present and settled status in the UK
- It is also required that parties have personally met
- Proofs of sufficient accommodation without relying on public funds
- Proofs of sufficient financial means without relying on public funds
Step 2 - If the couple qualifies, the next step is for the applicant to collate all the needed documents and arrange them in the following order:
- Settlement form (VAF4 OCT 2007)
- Passport with six (6) months validity. Old passports must be also submitted
- Visa fee
- Recent passport (45 mm X 35 mm)
- Copies of the sponsor’s passport. In this case provide duplicates of stamped pages and those that contain the information details
- Proofs that the applicant has enough accommodation. Examples of these proofs are mortgage documents. Rent books, along with the property’s description are also accepted. Also, rental agreements with the landlords are likewise accepted
- Evidences of the sponsor’s sufficient financial income. Under this context, the applicant must present a 6-month bank statement. Employment documents would also suffice.
- Proofs that the sponsor is a permanent resident of UK
- Letters of support from the sponsor
- Proofs that the sponsor and applicants are in constant communication. As such, records and documents like phone bills, personal letters and emails are accepted
- Birth certificate printed on NSO security paper
- Copy of Marriage Contract printed on NSO security paper. Those who are married in the Philippines need to show their marriage certificate
- For those that have children from previous marriages, provide the birth certificates that are likewise printed on NSO security paper
- Other supporting documents
Step 3 – Go to the bank and pay the application fee. Settlement visa fees costs P47, 656. There are three ways to pay this fee since the embassy does not accept over-the counter payments. These are the following:
- Through Union Bank (Vito Cruz ext. Pasong Tamo, Makati City) – Bring copies of the passport’s data page.
- Through Union Bank branches –A P150 service charge will be asked. Copies of the passport’s data page are also needed
- Manager’s Cheque payable to the British Embassy
Keep the receipt and submit the application immediately. The receipt is valid for only 10 days.
Step 4 – Schedule an appointment. Applicants have three options in scheduling their appointments. These are:
- Via online processing (https://www.vfs.firm.in/pl-apptsystem/appscheduling/appwelcome.aspx)
- Through the call center
- For PLDT/ Smart Subscriber - 1-909-885-VISA (8472)
- Bayantel - 1-903-VISAUK or 1-903-847285
- Walk-in scheduling is possible
Step 5 – Go to the embassy and submit the application. Take note that upon submission, every applicant is required to render their biometric information as well.
Step 6 – Wait for the visa’s approval. Waiting period may vary. Thus, it is suggested that applicants collect all the documents to ensure higher chances of approval.